FROM THE HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL IN DUBROVNIK
From Domus Christi (14th century) to New hospital (1888)
There are two distinctive periods in the development of hospital services in Dubrovnik. The first began in the 14th century, when a poorhouse was set up to become a real hospital Domus Christi in 1540, and lasted until 1888, that is, until a new hospital was built in Boninovo. The Dalmatian authorities paid for the new hospital 200,000 Austrian florins. The new hospital complex in Dubrovnik consisted of five buildings of different sizes. Near the main building there was the uterus, a smaller building for childbed women; further away there was the solitary for contagious diseases, and still further the morgue, the chapel and the stable. The hospital disposed of 104 beds in eight large rooms; two midsize and four small rooms for patients whose treatment was paid for by communes or provinces; four beds in three rooms for those who paid for the first class service; six beds in the solitary; ten in the uterus; fourteen for newborns and six for wet nurses in the maternity section. The doctors who worked there and who deserve special mention are: Roko Mišetić, Jere Pugliesi, Emanuel Luxardo, Ivan August Kaznačić, Ante Brešan, surgeon Kobliška, Dr Neumar, and Dr Martinis. Since 1878, fourteen sisters of the order of St Vincent de Paul had worked there. From 1888 to 1919 the hospital was under the supervision of Land Committee of the Kingdom of Dalmatia whose seat was in Zadar.
Key words: Croatia, Dubrovnik; history of medicine, 14th to 19th century; hospitals