APOTHECARY ACTIVITY IN DUBROVNIK DOMINICAN MONASTERY FROM XVIIth TO THE BEGINNING XIXth CENTURY
The origin of the Dominican monastery pharmacy is not clear, but sources suggest that it had operated from the eve of the great earthquake in Dubrovnik in 1667 to the beginning of the 19th century. Its last pharmacist, praised for his competence, passed away in 1803, leaving no one behind The prior travelled all the way to Naples to find a competent pharmacist in his stead, but never returned. Story has it that on the way back, the abbot and the pharmacist lost their lives in a shipwreck. The French army occupied the town in 1806, and the monastery was turned into a military camp. Following the retreat of the French army in 1814, the monastery was returned to the Dominicans, but the pharmacy was never restored.
Keywords: History of pharmacy, 17th to 19th century, Dominican’s Monastery, Dubrovnik, Croatia