NEOSTVARENI PROJEKT RIJEČKE BOLNICE ZA ZARAZNE BOLESTI IZ 1908. – 1912. GODINE
Parallel with the design of the main city hospital of Rijeka, architect Francesco Mattiassi between 1908 and 1912 made the project for the Infectious disease hospital which had to replace existing hospital – subsidiary. After some years of disputes regarding the location, decision was reached to place the new hospital onto the terrain Sv. Jelena na Plasama (St. Helen at Plase, today Pehlin). The infection disease complex was conceived as a pavilion, which was, because of better isolation, usual concept for this type of hospitals. Buildings are placed to merge with the greenery, connected with road and pedestrian paths. Inside the complex there were clean and unclean watch-houses, administration, utility and service pavilion, laundry room, observation pavilion, four patients pavilions and necroscopy pavilion with crematorium furnace. Functionality, simplicity and temperance are the main characteristics of this, for the time very modern architecture with secession style marks. Even today, after more than hundred years, this unrealized visionary project, because of its high technical, artistic and conceptual level, still effects very contemporary and usable.
Key words: Rijeka, medical architecture, hospitals, secession, Francesco Mattiassi