HYDROTHERAPEUTIC INSTITUTIONS IN THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN HEALTH RESORT ABBAZIA / OPATIJA OWNED BY THE SOUTH RAILWAYS COMPANY
The South Railways Company built two hydrotherapeutic institutions Warm baths (Warmbade-Pavillion) and Hydrotherapeutic Institution (Hydropatische Anstalt) in the Angiolina Park in Opatija in 1884. The both institutions were in operation till 1904. Due to the deterioration of the both hydrotherapeutic institutions and increasing number of guests (in 1899 - 4009 guests, in 1902 - 19.001 guests) the South Railways Company built in 1902-1904 new modern hydrotherapeutic treatment institution the Covered Bath of the Archduke Ludwig Viktor (Erherzog Ludwig Viktor Bad). The leading physician (dirigierender Arzt) of these institutions was Professor Dr. Julius Glax, who added the thalassotherapy to the balneology. In 1907 the post of the leading physician of the Covered Bath of the Archduke Ludvig Victor (Erherzog Ludwig Viktor Bad) took over Dr. Albert Nussbaum. The Covered Bath of the Archduke Ludvig Victor institution was operating till 1919, when it was transformed into a hotel.
Key words: Hydrotherapeutic institution; Warm bath pavilion; The Covered Bath of Archduke Ludvig Viktor hydrotherapy; Abbazia / Opatija