LJEKARNA K CRNOM ORLU U PETRINJI – PRVA CIVILNA LJEKARNA U BANSKOJ KRAJINI
The Black Eagle pharmacy was founded in 1772 as a branch of the eponymous Karlovac pharmacy and was the oldest civil pharmacy on the territory of Banska krajina. Based on the archival sources, newspapers of the time, and the documentation preserved within the owner’s family, its historical background and ownership chronology are presented in this paper. Special attention was dedicated to the Panac family, which led the pharmacy through four generations, from 1822 until 1950. The results of our research resolved the dilemmas about the pharmacy’s first location and also presented the information concerning the academic path of its owners, their work, as well as their wider socio-cultural influences on life in Petrinja. The interior of The Black Eagle pharmacy has not retained its original function nor has the inventory been preserved, although the building, in which it was located, has been preserved and is protected as a cultural monument. The pharmacy was nationalized in 1947, and moved to a new location towards the end of 1950s. Therefore, the reconstruction of its historiography contributes not only to our knowledge of the pharmacy development in Croatia, but also to the understanding of the development of the city through the emergence and existence of medical and healthcare institutions within the city.
Key words: history of pharmacy, the Black Eagle pharmacy, Petrinja, Panac family, Croatia